New Flights Open up the Beautiful and “Hidden” North of Tenerife
The beauty and authenticity of the north of Tenerife will be more accessible than ever, as Iberia Express launches a new route on 29th March 2015 that will operate three times a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays) departing from London Heathrow to Tenerife North (Los Rodeos).
With the new direct flights, key attractions such as Anaga Rural Park, Santa Cruz, La Laguna, Pirámides de Güímar and the northern wineries, volcanic sand beaches and picturesque towns are now within easy reach. For those looking to use the north as a base camp for their holiday, there is also a variety of beautiful rural accommodation options, including boutique hotels, rural fincas, guesthouses and self-catered apartments and villas, all just a short drive from the airport.
As a complement and contrast to the popular resorts in the south of the island, the lesser-known north is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts, walkers, families and couples who are seeking a more authentic experience, closer to nature and away from the more populated areas.
Below are some new attractions and events taking place in the north:
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife: The vivid ‘The Island Watercolours’ exhibition by German artist Günther Uecker is the first of its kind from the artist to be displayed in Spain. The exhibition is open until 19th April 2015 at the modern TEA (Tenerife Arts Space). www.teatenerife.es
- La Laguna: The Canary Islands’ most popular Easter celebrations provide a spectacle as artistic religious floats are parade through the streets of the former island’s capital city. From 30th March to 5th April 2015. www.aytolalaguna.com
- Golf: Two tournaments are coming up to the northern 18-hole course Buenavista Golf: the 5th Vincci Buenavista Anniversary Tournament (18th April 2015) and the9th Tenerife Golf Circuit (2nd May 2015). Buenavista Golf, designed by golf legend Severiano Ballesteros, offers impressive views of the Teno mountain range and the Atlantic Ocean. www.buenavistagolf.es
- Anaga Rural Park: The Festival Santa Cruz Extreme, on 19th April 2015, is a trail run through one of the island’s lush and green subtropical forests.www.festivalsantacruzextreme.com
- Puerto de la Cruz: The Ancient and Baroque Music Festival takes place throughout March and April 2015 in this cosmopolitan town which preserves the atmosphere of a traditional seafaring town – with a vibrant shopping and entertainment scene. www.reyesbartlet.com
- Loro Parque: The park’s latest addition, “Aqua Viva”, is a 500 square-metre aquarium filled with 100,000 litres of seawater and hundreds of jellyfish.www.loroparque.com
- Casa del Vino de Tenerife: With the wine menu updated every two weeks, there is always a new variety of local wines to be enjoyed at the island’s wine museum, in El Sauzal. ¡Salud! www.casadelvinotenerife.com
- Los Realejos: Locals and visitors can join in the popular Fiestas de la Cruz on 3rd May 2015, a festivity that sees the northern seafaring town decorated with more than 300 crosses made of beautiful flowers. www.losrealejos.es
- Isla Baja: The 17th edition of the Canary Islands Environmental Film Festival (FICMEC) is coming to Garachico from 27th to 31st May 2015. This tranquil and sleepy northern town is one of the gems of Isla Baja, a region characterised by its traditional towns and green scenery. www.ficmec.es
- Pirámides de Güímar: The ‘Double Sunset’ can be witnessed here on 21st June 2015, a phenomenon that sees the sun completely disappear on the horizon before partially resurfacing a few minutes later. www.piramidesdeguimar.es
For further information on the north and the whole of Tenerife visit www.webtenerife.co.uk.